This is a little late in appearing on this blog because it happened on the feast of the "transitus" of St Benedict on March 21st. However, I notice that readers are interested in this community on the outskirts of Lima; so I offer this for your attention. (Fr) David
EXPAND YOUR READING!!
"Today the concept of truth is viewed with suspicion, because truth is identified with violence. Over history there have, unfortunately, been episodes when people sought to defend the truth with violence. But they are two contrasting realities. Truth cannot be imposed with means other than itself! Truth can only come with its own light. Yet, we need truth. ... Without truth we are blind in the world, we have no path to follow. The great gift of Christ was that He enabled us to see the face of God".Pope Benedict xvi, February 24th, 2012
The Church is ecumenical, catholic, God-human, ageless, and it is therefore a blasphemy—an unpardonable blasphemy against Christ and against the Holy Ghost—to turn the Church into a national institution, to narrow her down to petty, transient, time-bound aspirations and ways of doing things. Her purpose is beyond nationality, ecumenical, all-embracing: to unite all men in Christ, all without exception to nation or race or social strata. - St Justin Popovitch
Important Christian Literature
- "Cyberdesert" the Fathers on Prayer & the Christian Life
- "On Inmages" (Hilary of Poities John Damascene
- Abandonment to Divine Providence (Jean-Pierre de Caussade
- Ascent of Mount Carmel (John of the Cross)
- Augustine Baker (home page)
- Augustine Baker OSB "Sancta Sophia"
- Conferences of St John Cassian
- Confessions & Enchiridion (S> Augustine)
- Life of St Benedict (S. Gregory the Great)
- On St Symeon the New Theologian (i-pod)
- On the Gospel of St John and the "Epistle to the Hebrews (S. John Chrysostom)
- Paradise or Garden of the Holy Fathers vol. 1 (S. Athanasius)
- Paradise or Garden of the Holy Fathers vol.2. (S. Athanasius)
- Revelations of Divine Love (Julian of Norwich)
- Sermon on the Mount, Harmony of he Gospels, Sermons on the Gospels (S> Augustine)
- Spiritual Canticle of the Soul
- St Dionysius "Mystical Theology"
- St John of the Cross "The Dark Night of the Soul."
- The City of God (S. Augustine)
- The Cloud of Unknowing
- The Divine Names & Mystical Theology (S. Dionysius the Areopagite)
- The Inarnation (St Athanasius)
- The Life of St Teresa of Avila OCD
- The Practice of the Presence of God (Br Lawrence)
- The Rule of S. Benedict
- Works of Suplicius Severus, S. Vincent of Lerins, and S. John Cassia
Orthodox Monasteries Throughout The World
Benedictine Order -website
Orthodox Monasticism in Patristic and Monastic Studies
My Blog List
The Fathers (of the Church), the Son, and the Holy Spirit - [A homily I gave in 2007 on the Sunday of the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council.] We’re in a time of watching and waiting—not like Advent, during whi...6 days ago
Gladys Aylward, the little woman, and China’s Inn of The Sixth Happiness - There is a lovely movie, staring Ingrid Bergman, called “The Inn of the Sixth Happiness.” Made in 1958 it celebrates the remarkable life of a petite woma...1 week ago
Building Bridges Between Orthodox and Catholic Christians - An interview with Archimandrite Robert Taft, SJ, prominent Byzantine liturgical theologian and lifelong healer of Christian relations between East and Wes...2 weeks ago
Monasterio de la Encarnacion, Pachacamac - Lurin, LIMA
- ► 2012 (320)
- ► 2011 (300)
- St Charbel
- [Irenikon] Saint Theodosios the Hesychast of Bulga...
- SOLEMN PROFESSION OF bROS. PERCY AND WILMER, March...
- ABBOT PAUL FOR ADVENT SUNDAY: A Happy New Year to ...
- ADVENT III - Pope Benedict xvi on Advent
- Worship in the Syriac Orthodox Church
- [Irenikon] Met. Hilarion on Monasticism--"Choosing...
- ADVENT II
- [Irenikon] A STUDY OF ETERNAL LIFE
- On Contemporary Narrow Mindedness in Orthodoxy ...
- [Irenikon] A bit closer to the facts?
- ABBOT PAUL ON ADVENT
- [Irenikon] Theotokos: Entry into the Temple
- HOW WE CAME TO BE HERE
- St. Anselm
- St. Gregory Palamas and the Tradition of the Fathe...
- Award Winning Serbian Documentary on Mount Athos ...
- [Irenikon] Trappist Monks of Tibhirine
- THE MONASTIC VOCATION by HH Pope Benedict XVI
- [Irenikon] Barbarians Among Us?
- [Irenikon] On Change, Bishops, and Fading Away (A...
- Pope Benedict and the Liturgy By Sandro Magister 4...
- [Irenikon] Patriarch Kirill: Christianity is not a...
- LITURGY AND ICON (in the understanding of Pope Ben...
- THE RICHNESS OF BENEDICTINE LITURGY
- ST HILDEGARD ABBEY
- [Irenikon] The Feast of St. Josaphat at the Vatica...
- BENEDICT XVI GENERAL AUDIENCE St Peter's Square ...
- Myrrh & Blood-Streaming Icons in Zajecar, Serbia ...
- [Irenikon] Seminarian may owe his life to Cardinal...
- St. Theodore the Studite and the Problem of the P...
- [Irenikon] Surviving as a Christian
- November12th: ST JOSAPHAT OF POLOTSK
- The Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour
- November 11: St Martin of Tours
- LEO THE GREAT, POPE, DOCTOR OF THE CHURCH 461
- Introduction to the Jesus Prayer by H.R.H. Princ...
- Lima is a long way away from Lebanon, yet there i...
- The Eucharistic Liturgy of The Syrian Orthodox Chu...
- Our monastery belongs to the ENGLISH BENEDICTINE C...
- THE MARONITE CHURCH: A CHURCH OF HOPE Sub-...
- [Irenikon] This is very hopeful, on several counts...
- [Irenikon] A liturgical wish-list from a young Cat...
- [Irenikon] Love Without Limits
- THE SISTINE CHAPEL
- NOV EMBER 3RD: ST MARTIN DE PORRES
- Servants of the Presence of God
- ▼ November (47)
- ► 2009 (47)
Monasterio de la Encarnacion
- Father David
- Pachacamac - Lima, Lima, Peru
- I am a Benedictine monk from Belmont Abbey, Hereford. I studied theology at Fribourg University in Switzerland, and was chaplain for many years at Belmont Abbey School, now sadly closed. I spent some time in Whitehaven in the parish. For the last 27 years I have been in Peru,part of the Belmont foundation here, but for most of the time working in parishes. I am now Superior of a monastery which has been founded from Belmont on the outskirts of Lima. I have written two books of theology, the first "The Royal Road to Joy. The Beatitudes and the Mass", published by Gracewing in 2003. The second, "Heaven Revealed. The Holy Spirit and the Mass" will be published in July or August by the same publisher, and I am working on a third. My interests: theology, ecumenism,especially with the Eastern Churches, things pastoral. From 1981 - 1990 I was in Tambogrande 1991 - 1997 in Negritos, Talara 1998 in Harrington, Cumbria 1998 2002 in Cajamarca 2002 till now in the monastery except for 2006 when I was with the Charismatic Renewal in Lima