EXPAND YOUR READING!!
"Today the concept of truth is viewed with suspicion, because truth is identified with violence. Over history there have, unfortunately, been episodes when people sought to defend the truth with violence. But they are two contrasting realities. Truth cannot be imposed with means other than itself! Truth can only come with its own light. Yet, we need truth. ... Without truth we are blind in the world, we have no path to follow. The great gift of Christ was that He enabled us to see the face of God".Pope Benedict xvi, February 24th, 2012
The Church is ecumenical, catholic, God-human, ageless, and it is therefore a blasphemy—an unpardonable blasphemy against Christ and against the Holy Ghost—to turn the Church into a national institution, to narrow her down to petty, transient, time-bound aspirations and ways of doing things. Her purpose is beyond nationality, ecumenical, all-embracing: to unite all men in Christ, all without exception to nation or race or social strata. - St Justin Popovitch
Wednesday, 17 September 2008
Pontiff exhorts Benedictines to proclaim the 'primacy of God' and evangelize youth
Rome, September 22 (CNA).-Meeting with participants of the International Congress of the Benedictine Federation on Saturday, the Holy Father encouraged the group to announce "the primacy of God without compromise" and to continue evangelizing the youth by showing them the richness of the liturgy, of meditation and lectio divina.
The congress, which is held every four years in Rome, gives Benedictine abbots and superiors the opportunity to discuss how their charism applies to the current social and cultural context and how "to respond to the ever-new challenges this raises for bearing witness to the Gospel."
Addressing the Benedictine Federation, the Holy Father reminded them that "in a sacrilegious world, and in a time marked by a worrying culture of emptiness and of 'non sense,' you are called to announce the primacy of God without compromise, and to propose new paths of evangelization. "
This must be done, the Pontiff continued, by reaching out to the young people. The youth in our world need to be prepared to face "the many demands of society with constant reference to the evangelical message, which is always current, inexhaustible and enlivening," the Pope exclaimed. "Dedicate yourselves, then, with renewed apostolic ardor to the young, who are the future of the Church and of humanity.
"In order to build a 'new' Europe, we must begin with the new generations, offering them an intimate experience of the spiritual richness of the liturgy, of meditation, and of 'lectio divina'," he said.
The Pope continued by describing the "renowned Benedictine hospitality. "A community capable of truly fraternal life, fervently dedicated to liturgical prayer, study, and work, and cordially open to others who thirst for God, represents the best way to turn hearts, especially those of the young, to the monastic vocation and, in general, to a fruitful journey of faith."
Concluding his address, Pope Benedict turned to the Benedictine nuns and female religious and encouraged them not to lose heart, despite the lack of vocations in some parts of the world. "Faithfully persevering in your own vocations you bear witness with great effectiveness, also before the world, to your firm faith in the Lord of history, in Whose hands are the times and destinies of individuals, institutions and peoples." The Holy Father exhorted them to "Adopt the spiritual attitude of the Virgin Mary, who was content to be 'ancilla Domini', utterly compliant to the will of the Heavenly Father."
Important Christian Literature
- "Cyberdesert" the Fathers on Prayer & the Christian Life
- "On Inmages" (Hilary of Poities John Damascene
- Abandonment to Divine Providence (Jean-Pierre de Caussade
- Ascent of Mount Carmel (John of the Cross)
- Augustine Baker (home page)
- Augustine Baker OSB "Sancta Sophia"
- Conferences of St John Cassian
- Confessions & Enchiridion (S> Augustine)
- Life of St Benedict (S. Gregory the Great)
- On St Symeon the New Theologian (i-pod)
- On the Gospel of St John and the "Epistle to the Hebrews (S. John Chrysostom)
- Paradise or Garden of the Holy Fathers vol. 1 (S. Athanasius)
- Paradise or Garden of the Holy Fathers vol.2. (S. Athanasius)
- Revelations of Divine Love (Julian of Norwich)
- Sermon on the Mount, Harmony of he Gospels, Sermons on the Gospels (S> Augustine)
- Spiritual Canticle of the Soul
- St Dionysius "Mystical Theology"
- St John of the Cross "The Dark Night of the Soul."
- The City of God (S. Augustine)
- The Cloud of Unknowing
- The Divine Names & Mystical Theology (S. Dionysius the Areopagite)
- The Inarnation (St Athanasius)
- The Life of St Teresa of Avila OCD
- The Practice of the Presence of God (Br Lawrence)
- The Rule of S. Benedict
- Works of Suplicius Severus, S. Vincent of Lerins, and S. John Cassia
Orthodox Monasteries Throughout The World
Benedictine Order -website
Orthodox Monasticism in Patristic and Monastic Studies
My Blog List
“Orthodoxy places great emphasis on the unshakeable primacy of the faithful heart” - For an Orthodox to admit that God is a problem, or a distant absence, or an enigma, is not, therefore, a testimony to “existential honesty,” but rather the...23 hours ago
Drama and Music To Make Us Think: Disability Hate Crime, Religious Persecution, Bullying, Relationships, the Holocaust, North Korea, Scapegoating of Minorities... - Reblogged from : A theatre company, consisting primarily, but not exclusively, of actors with learning disabilities, recently came to Westminster to per...3 days ago
Elder Porphyry the Kapsokalivite Sees a Provocatively Dressed Woman - Years ago, when the Elder served at the Polyclinic of Athens, while walking in the area of Omonoia one day with two girls who were his spiritual children, ...5 days ago
Monasterio de la Encarnacion, Pachacamac - Lurin, LIMA
- ► 2012 (320)
- ► 2011 (300)
- ► 2010 (186)
- ► 2009 (47)
- St Antony the Abbot
- Pope Benedict exhorts Benedictines to proclaim the...
- Benedict XVI, Women Priests and the "Reform of the...
- Dom Augustine Baker osb - A Great Spiritual Teache...
- The Spirituality of Augustine Baker osb
- The Community of St John
- The Monastic Family of the Assumption and St Bruno...
- The Biblical Basis for the Orthodox Teaching on 'T...
- Benedictine Oblates
- ▼ September (9)